I woke up when Cassie woke up this morning but it wasn’t my turn to get out of bed. So I closed my eyes and started thinking about names. I have a lot of things that need names right now. So those of you that are good at naming things, please leave me lots of suggestions in the comments. 🙂 Thanks.
1. My new netbook needs a name. I’ve never named my computers before but I want to start. The netbook is blue and is my after hours and traveling buddy. He likes steak and potatoes and chocolate. He’s very impulsive and never stops to read directions before he puts something together.
2. My new laptop (won’t be here until next week) needs a name too. It’s an apple green workhorse that will be my main computer for everything. She’s a dedicated over-achiever always willing to work late for no extra pay. She’s a bit on the shy side and goes barefoot all the time.
3. I was even thinking about giving my office a name. I guess now that I’m spending more time in here (6 hours a day so far) I think we ought to move to a first name basis. It’s got a cozy, garden cottage sort of feel to it and I smile every time I walk in there.
4. Plant Kid’s story needs a name. I’m not stopping the work on Flyboy but Plant Kid is there, tugging at the edge of my mind and the hardest thing for me to tell him is that I have no title for him. I can’t start a book without a title. No, really I can’t. It’s a story about a kid who doesn’t have much of a family so he makes his own. Oh, and it’s about plants. And about how some things you want to fix can’t ever be fixed and sometimes that’s a good thing.
5. This blog needs a name. No, I’m not leaving Livejournal but I want to buy a domain name, set up a shell of a website, and then put the blog front and center. From there I can add things that will build around the focus of this blog which will still be about me but hopefully more bits about inspiration, persistence, and motivation for writers.
The floor is open. 😉
1. Little Guy
3. Happy Lane
4. The Green Escape
Obviously, the netbook is Blue Barry and the apple-green laptop is Granny Smith.
Is the office more of a Bower, or a Haven, or a launching pad? Launching Pad is an awful name, but you could call it Canaveral.
Sorry, can’t help you with Plant Kid’s story till I know more about it. But I think his name should be Basil, or Ash, or Linden. It’s hard to get good boy’s names out of plants.
I’m afraid whatever you call your blog I’m just going to think of it as “Susan’s Blog,” so I don’t think I should have any input.
Peni, Love Granny Smith, thanks!
The office is more of a haven that shares space with the outdoors. It needs a gardeny, literary kind of name, I think.
Plant Kid himself has a name. Boone. It’s his story that has me struggling. I’m going to have to give over a few days to ponder it more fully I think in order to come up with something.
for your netbook?
Kent. Trust me, it’s right!
LOL on Kent for the netbook.
I am sorry I can’t help because 1 and 2 sound typically like you.
I have never tried to name an office before but I guess there is always a first time. I don’t even have a name for my car.
I would read your blog whatever you called it because it gives me, you give me inspiration anyway.
As for Plant Kid – sounds like a cross between “The Secret Garden” and “Winnie the Pooh” so that is the difficulty I can see.
– Anne McKenna
Plant Kid is far from Winnie the Pooh and not so sure he has much of the Secret Garden either. I really need to give him more attention.
Ooh, I just need to come up with one character’s name. Good luck to us both!
Hope you found your character name. I’m still working on all of mine.
Nah, she still needs a name. I got distracted by a totally different project. I did find a good first name for her, but it doesn’t work well with her last name.
Good luck! My netbook is Hermione. She’s the first computer I’ve named but I rather think we’ve bonded.
I’m a habitual namer, too. I had a desktop named Titania – I’d maxed out all the options when I got it (1st 1G processor in the lab!), and the boys at MIT said it was too much machine for a girl, so I named it after the powerful fairy queen. Mess with that! My laptop at the time was named Puck.
When I got a new laptop a few years later, the first thing it did was crash spectacularly, so I named it Adonais. “Oh weep for Adonais — he is dead!”
So for the netbook, I’m going to offer Loki, and Luna for the laptop 🙂
Oooh, I love Puck for my netbook! I might have to take that but Loki is good too.